The nominees for the 2020 GREEN CITIES AWARD are revealed! Candidates will be judged on themes like health, climate, economy, biodiversity and social cohesion by a competent and independent jury. The winner will be revealed on december 2nd. Stay tuned for updates by subscribing to the newsletter.
Prize winning projects that let green excel in its positive impact on urban welfare
Part of the “Green Cities for a Sustainable Europe” campaign, a yearly, international contest with award ceremony will be organised, starting from 2020 with a first edition in The Netherlands.
The goal of the award
The European Green Cities Award encourages successful, ambitious, inspiring and innovative green infrastructures projects.
What projects participate
All inspiring projects that make optimum use of the added value of green infrastructures in the living environment can participate.
- Interior planting of a school
- A new residential area with public gardens
- A business garden with workplaces
- A hospital with green treatment rooms
- A new city park with sports and play facilities
- A green renovated industrial estate
- (Participating projects need to be fully realised and put into use no more than 5 years ago.)
The judging criteria
- Greenery (A double weighting shall be applied to this criterion!) The greenery will be assessed on the right assortment for this application. Quality and diversity are taken into account. Special and unique applications may contribute to a higher appreciation.
- The overall design (landscape and optional associated buildings)
The most important point of assessment is the integral design in which the elements in the project match each other. And where the project connects to its surroundings. The uniqueness of the design is an added advantage.
- The contribution to the well-being of users
Depending on the type of project, visitors, patients, students, residents or employees benefit from the added value like well fare, productivity ans social cohesion. The size of the expected effect and the size of the group of profiteers determine the rating.
- The impact on the climate
For the valuation, the impact of the project is estimated on the following components: Rainwater collection and discharge and temperature regulation.
- The impact on the environment
Materials used are assessed for environmental impact during production and for circularity. If the project has a logical effect on the perception of noise nuisance and on the capture of CO2, NOx and particulate matter, this may be taken into account.
- The impact on economic factors
For the assessment, an estimate is made of the relationship between the investment (construction and maintenance) and the revenues. This may include an estimate of the effect on property value in the surrounding area and positive impact on local economy (for shops , restaurants…).
- Used constructing materials
It will be assessed on the right product choice for this application. Quality is taken into account. Special and unique applications may contribute to a higher appreciation.
- Innovativeness and reproducibility
Innovativeness is appreciated. A good reproducibility of the entire project, or parts of it, improves the score.
- Important remark!
The set-up of the award does not allow all criteria to be fully researched and factually substantiated. These cases are judged subjectively by the judges on the basis of their insights and experience and on the basis of the information provided by the participant. Only the jury chooses the winner. No correspondence is possible outside the jury about the content of the assessment process.